Thursday, May 24, 2012


                       Richard "Lionheart" Adams 



My father-in-law Richard passed away recently.  He had an ongoing battle with a variety of diseases and organ malfunctions.  His death wasn’t something anyone was expecting, but it wasn’t unexpected either.  I had wanted to write down some memories beforehand, but ultimately thought I would have a few more years with him vice a few months.  The death of a loved one is obviously a terrible thing, you not only mourn the passing of that person, but the door is effectively closed on any future memories with them.

                I have known Richard about 10 years, and in that time I witnessed a true "lion among men" who worked tirelessly in the banking industry and didn't stop until his body forced him to.  Conversely when he was at home, he was a docile lamb that cherished his family and loved ones more than anything else on this Earth.  He once confided in me that he was happier since leaving his professional life, despite the constant dialysis treatments and various doctor’s appointments.  It ultimately allowed him to spend more time with his children and grandchildren, whom he loved greatly.

I think the first thing that I noticed about Richard was his piercing intellect.  He had sky blue eyes that almost seemed to see right through you.  His mind was like a steel-trap and I know it was the most beloved of his attributes.  As far as his family is concerned, he used his mental abilities to bring those around him up, he knew the right course of action for any situation, and knew it almost instantly.  In that respect, he was a beloved friend, mentor and confidante to everyone he knew.

Richard was a connoisseur of life.  He knew how to cook, drink, and socialize with the best of them.  He was raised in an Italian environment, and his various uncles and mother taught him that family is the most important thing in life, and that life is to be celebrated at every opportunity.  Holidays, marriages, and even birthdays were celebrated with a ferocity that is all-consuming for those involved.  I know that their love and devotion helped shaped who he was, and made him a very compassionate and caring soul.

Along the way, Richard taught me a variety of valuable lessons.  He taught me how to live life to the fullest, and to just be comfortable in my own skin.  He accepted everyone he met unconditionally, didn’t judge, and tried to help them in whatever way he was able.  He also taught me that forgiveness (of myself and others) is the greatest “strength” that a person can have.

 I take small comfort in the fact that he passed away happily and without pain.  My son, who is his name-sake, was having a sleep over that night with his grandparents.  It was kind of odd to me because it was a Sunday evening, and the kids have never spent the night on a Sunday.  It is also incredible, but the first thing that my son did when he arrived was run into the bedroom and place his blanket and pillow next to his grandfather, it was almost like he knew that he needed to be there for him.  Richard had been on the bed resting and he stirred a little bit, but was nonetheless very pleased to see Richie.  I said goodbye to the both of them and told Richie to “be a good boy”.  Several hours later they had been lying in bed and Richard was tickling Richie and having fun with him.  It was starting to getting late (around 10 pm) and Richie’s grandmother had cautioned Richard to “not get him all riled-up before bedtime”.  It was at that point that he rolled over on the bed and let out a huge sigh.  His heart had stopped beating and his time on this Earth was up.
     
 Richard was an amazing friend and father, and I want to thank him for all the great memories, life lessons, and friendship.  He is someone that is irreplaceable and the next few months will be very dark and lonely for anyone who knew him.

1 comment:

  1. Best piece I've read. The little I knew of Richard was enough to know how awesome and great he truly was. He will be missed by all that had the pleasure of coming into contact with him.

    ReplyDelete